January 8, 2014

Jesse: Week Two, Day Five

WEEK TWO
Tattoo: Zelda look-alike on right forearm
DAY FIVE
Hot-headed: Heated argument with Zelda after finding out she's pregnant with his kid.

Jesse woke up with a sinking feeling in his gut.  He'd tried to confront Zelda last night, but nobody had answered the door.  Well, he was going to talk to her today - come hell or high water!

He headed over first thing in the morning.  He didn't care what time it was!  He pushed hard as he rang the doorbell, ringing it repeatedly, then waited impatiently.  Nobody came.  Angry, he pounded on the door, yelling, “Zelda Mae! I know you're home!”

Then all of a sudden, Zelda was there in front of him. “What is your problem?” she demanded angrily. “People are trying to sleep here! It's the butt-crack of dawn!"

Jesse's eyes went straight to her belly and the horrible cow mu-mu she was wearing.  “It's true,” he breathed.

Zelda pulled her sweater around her tighter, covering her belly bump.  “You know, having you rush over here and accuse me of things is getting really old, Jesse. You need some serious help!”

Jesse glared. “Were you going to tell me?” he demanded.

Zelda rolled her eyes. “Of course I was!  I just didn't think your gaggle of gossips would beat me to it.  I should've known better.”

Jesse just stood there a moment, looking at her, trying to think of what to say to the woman you just found out was carrying your baby.  "Is it mine?" he asked.

Zelda's eyes narrowed and Jesse had the grace to wince.  Probably not the best thing to lead off with..

As Zelda opened her mouth to verbally skewer him, Jesse raised his hands up. "I know, I know! I'm sorry! I'm just in shock, that's all."  He paused a moment.  "So what now?"

Zelda shrugged, "I dunno..."

Sometimes it was like talking to a brick wall!  He tried again.  “Do you think we should... you know... get married?”

Zelda laughed so hard tears leaked from the corner of her eyes.. When she was finally able to talk, she said, “Oh God!  Thanks.  That's the first time I've laughed since I found out... well... you know...”

Jesse stewed. “Can't you be serious for one minute?” he demanded. “And I swear to God, if you say 'I dunno' again, I'll...” Jesse balled his hands up in fists and counted to ten, trying to calm down. “This is our baby...”

Zelda shrugged again. “I dun...” Seeing Jesse's eye twitch, she stopped, then sighed heavily. “Look, I don't know. I was thinking about giving it up for adoption.  I can't raise a baby while I'm trying to get a big break and Ilianna would never let me hear the end of it if she wound up helping raise my baby.”

Adoption.  Jesse was stunned.  He hadn't even considered that when he heard the news.

“Yeah... okay... whatever...” he said numbly. “I... I have to go.”

Wait, Jesse..” Zelda said, hurrying after him. She tentatively touched his arm.  “You didn't....” she hesitated. “Well, you didn't actually think that we'd get married and raise the baby together? Did you?”

Jesse's shoulders slumped. “Yeah. Yeah, I did,” he said glumly.

Zelda gave him a pitying look. “You know we never would've worked out..."

“Yeah, I'm beginning to see that. Will you... will you at least let me know before you give it away?” he asked with a suspicious lump in his throat.

A tender look crossed her face. “Yeah, I will. Promise.”

Jesse turned around and jogged down the steps.

4 comments:

  1. when she burst out laughing at his proposal..hahaha that was hilarious. But sad for Jesse,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite funny! Poor Jesse gets a raw deal! But, that's what you get when you hook up with random crazy ladies. :)

      Delete