February 8, 2014

Chase: Week Thirteen, Day Three

Neurotic Obsession:  Chase gets angry over Yvonne's version of redecorating!

Yvonne gazed at herself critically in the mirror and fussed with her skirt.  Why did nothing seem to fit the right way anymore?

She leaned in close and smoothed her fingers down her cheeks.  Even her face looked puffier than usual! 

Scowling at her reflection, she checked her watch and hurried to work. 

At least when she came home, the place would be redecorated.  She'd left specific instructions for her designer to spruce the place up.  She only wished Chase had a little bit more money to spare for her redecorating project!

***

At work, Felix stopped by her desk and praised Yvonne for succeeding in signing Chase up for the symphony.  "I'd like to take you out to dinner tonight to discuss a few things."

Yvonne calmly checked her appointment book and told Felix that she could reschedule a pretend meeting and would meet him at the Bistro.  Inside she was squealing.  This was it! She was going to get the promotion!
They talked shop over dinner, making small talk about the business and a few personal things.  Yvonne had been surprised to learn that Felix was an electronica fan!

As they finished their meals, Felix leaned back in his chair and regarded Yvonne with an intense look.  "So, I'm sure you already know why I brought you out."

Yvonne cocked an eyebrow and smiled.  "Go ahead and say it anyway, sugar."

The corner of his mouth lifted up in a sardonic grin.  "Alright.  Well, you have the highest performance numbers and have managed to bag two highly lucrative deals in the last quarter.  As a result, we'd like to offer you promotion to head of your department."

"And my raise?" she asked. 

Felix's eyebrows knit together. "I'm just not sure we have money in the budget at this.." he began to hedge.

Yvonne daintily blotted her mouth with her cloth napkin and placed in on her plate.  She slung her purse over her shoulder and got up from the table.  "Thank you, I'll think about it, sugar."

Felix watched her get up with growing alarm and jumped up to follow her. "Wait! Where are you going?" he asked. "What do you mean you'll think about it?"

Yvonne raised her eyebrow.  "Well, we both know that I could take my business elsewhere... and my clients... like that," she said with a snap of her fingers.  "I wonder if you have money in the budget for that, sugar?"

"Now let's not be hasty!" Felix said stepping in front of her.  "I'm sure we can work something out..."

Yvonne patted his cheek.  "Oh, I'm sure we can, sugar.  I'll see you tomorrow morning!"

Felix shook his head as Yvonne walked away.  Ballsy woman, he thought with a quick grin.  No wonder she was the best in the business!

***

Yvonne sighed with pleasure when she came home from the Bistro and saw the downstairs.  It was just as she'd imagined it! 

She couldn't wait to plop down on the couch and put her feet up!

Just then, she heard the door open and shut and smiled as Chase walked in. She opened her mouth to tell him about her big promotion, but stopped short when she saw the look on his face.

***

Chase glanced around the room with a frown.  "What happened?" he demanded.  "Where's my Grandfather Jesse's couch?"  He pointed to the fancy love seat sitting it's spot.  "What did you do?!"
"You said I could make a few changes, Chase!" Yvonne began to remind him.
"I thought you were going to get a few new pillows or decorations!" he said angrily.  "I didn't realize that you were going to remodel!  There's a fountain in the pond out front!  And did you fill it in?  And, look! You added an extra dining room for plumbbob sake!  How much did this cost?!" he demanded at last, throwing his hands up in the air.  He couldn't believe she'd gone behind his back and made this many changes without his input. 
Yvonne's face had grown icier the longer Chase ranted.  "Well, forgive me for trying to make a few changes to the place I was going to live and raise our child!" she snapped.
Chase's mind went blank.  "A child?" he asked hopefully.  "You're pregnant?"

Yvonne crossed her arms and nodded tersely.  "Somehow the birth control didn't work! I recently realized that it wasn't just weight I was putting on after the wedding.  Didn't you notice?"

Chase shook his head.  "No, I mean, I had noticed your... you know..." he said, waving his hand around her bust level, "were fuller... but I didn't know that was why!"

Yvonne rolled her eyes. 
Chase gently put his hand on her belly and gazed up into her eyes.  "We're going to be parents!" he said with wonder in his voice.  He couldn't wait!

Yvonne on the other hand was much less enthusiastic.  She hadn't counted on having kids for years and she wasn't even sure she wanted any!  They were messy, noisy, and unreasonable!  All she knew was that she was not going to let this put a crimp in her performance at work!

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm starting to warm up to Yvonne a little ::Looks back at what I just type:: wow I really said that. There are some aspects of her that get under my skin still, like her controlling ways but I like the way she handled Felix.

    Aww Chasemeister is going to be a daddy! Yayyy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Yvonne's been fun to write! She's always looking at a situation and trying to figure out how to make it work for her!

      Delete
  2. Gotta say, I do like Yvonne's taste. Good interior decorating, woman! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most awkward house to build with! I need to figure out how to enlarge it for extra bedrooms without cutting down the tree-house Jesse built in Generation 1! I'm hoping to leave a little bit of each generation in the decorating style and have "hand me downs" & "heirlooms" (like Jesse's unfortunate couch!)

      Delete