May 24, 2014

Chase: Week Sixteen, Day Five

Neurotic Obsession:  The couple has a Love Day to remember...

"Happy Love Day," Chase said, sneaking up behind Yvonne and attempting to steal a kiss on her cheek as she put on her make-up.
"Chase!" she screeched in surprise, jerking away.  Eyeliner streaked across her face.  "Look what you made me do!"  She furiously began scrubbing at the black mark.

"Oh, sorry," Chase said, stepping back hesitantly. 

Yvonne sighed.  "It's okay. You just surprised me, that's all..."
Chase pulled a bouquet of roses from behind his back.  "I got these for you, too," he said, feeling rather unsure of himself.

"Oh! They're beautiful," Yvonne said, her guilt pinching her conscience.

"I just wanted to do something a little extra special today.  We've both been so busy lately that we haven't had time for us. I have it all planned out!"
Chase reached out to pull her into his arms.

Yvonne stiffly turned away with a fragile smile.  "Let me just go put these in water," she said. "You can tell me all about your plans over breakfast!"
 "Yeah, okay, no problem," Chase said as he watched her hurry from the room.
Yvonne's nerves were on edge as she found a vase and put the red roses in it for display.  Chase followed her into the kitchen, humming as he prepared breakfast.
 "...and I made reservations for later..." Chase was droning on as Yvonne distractedly tried to pay attention.  She couldn't stop thinking about Felix.

Everyone paused when her phone began to ring.
"Oh, hold on a second," she said, holding up a finger.  She glanced down and saw Felix's number and shot to her feet.  "Let me just take this call."
She paced away from the table.  "Why are you calling?" she asked if a hushed voice.

"I want to see you," Felix told her.

"I told you already. I don't think I'll be available for that meeting today, Felix," she said.   She glanced back and saw Chase giving her a thumbs up.  Turning back, she rolled her eyes.

"Yvonne, it's killing me imagining you there with him today.  Just get away for a few hours.  Tell him there's an emergency meeting, tell him the office is burning down, tell him anything you want..."

"I'll see what I can do," she promised thickly and snapped the phone shut.
 She led Chase to the living room and gently touched his arm.  "Felix needs me to come help him with the new software they installed."  She laughed erratically.  "I swear, he's useless with computers."

"But, it's Love Day," Chase began to argue. 

"I know, Chase.  Just let me go do this and we'll have plenty of time for the rest of your plans.  I promise. I'll be back in just a few hours!"
Chase turned to the girls.  "Looks like it's just us for a few more hours!"

"Now what?" Farrah complained moodily.

"Well, just because mom got called away doesn't mean that we can't go to tour the theater!" Chase announced brightly.
Chase hoisted Greyson up in his arms and led the girls to the car.  They were going to have a Love Day to remember - with or without Yvonne!

***

Yvonne dropped her purse by the door and hurried into Felix's arms.   

"I'm sorry, I wasn't going to call you today. But it was driving me crazy.  It's not fair that he gets you on Love Day..."

Yvonne leaned into his touch.  "I know.  I nearly stabbed my eye with the eyeliner when he kissed my cheek."
"Is it wrong that I hate that you're cheating on me with your husband?" he asked with a growl as he pulled her into his arms. 

***

 Chase led the kids back out of the theater.  

"That was awful," Farrah complained.  "What a waste of time!"

"It wasn't that bad," Eva countered, but Chase could tell nobody had enjoyed it.  "Well, let's go home and see if Mom's done with work yet."

 ***

Yvonne sighed, so comfortable in Felix's arms.  "I guess I should get back..." she wearily rubbed her hand across her face.  "It gets harder and harder to look him in the eye..."
Felix shot up into a sitting position, pulling out of her arms.  "Then don't," he said excitedly.  "Don't go."

Yvonne laughed, getting up out of bed. "Now you're just being silly!"
Felix followed her across the bed and roughly spun her around into his arms.  Yvonne gasped with surprise.  "Don't go, Yvonne. I love you."

Yvonne hid her face in his neck.  "But how?" she asked miserably. 

"You just tell him that you've fallen madly in love with me and are leaving him. Simple," Felix said.

Yvonne laughed bitterly. "There's nothing simple about that at all," she said.  "I don't want to be responsible for breaking his heart..."

Felix looked into her eyes. "You're breaking mine..." he said.
Yvonne caressed his cheek.  "I... I'll think about it..."

Felix hooked her under the chin and pulled her lips to his, kissing her sweetly.  "That's all I ask for.  Think about how it could be between us.  Nobody knows you better than I do..."
"I really have to go now," she said regretfully, pulling out of his arms and moving to get dressed.  Felix laid back down on the bed and watched her go...

 ***

 "Where's mama?" Farrah complained when she walked in. 

"Don't worry, Dad.  She's probably on her way home right now," Eva said, seeing the look on Chase's face.

At that moment, Chase's phone rang.  "Speak of the devil," he said with a half-smile.  He handed Greyson over to Eva and then turned to answer the phone.
"Yvonne? Where are you?" he asked.

***

Yvonne had spent too long at Felix's, reveling in his arms.  Chase was going to be angry with her.  On the way home, she tried to think of an excuse for taking so long.  And suddenly. She was tired of the lies, the excuses, the cover-ups.  
She walked in, surprised to find him in a darkened room, head hung down.  Well, she knew that he'd be mad that she was late.  She stopped and gathered up her courage.  "Chase, there's no easy way to say this, but..." she stalled, desperately searching for the courage to say the things she needed to say.  "...We both know it's been coming for awhile..." she continued, but stopped because although he knew there was something wrong, he hadn't known why.  She cleared her throat.  "I'm leaving you," she finally managed to spit out.

Chase just sat there, head buried in his hands.
She stepped closer.  "Chase? Did you hear me?" she asked.  "I... I'm leaving you..."

Chase looked up then, eyes rimmed red with tears.  "Dad's dead," he whispered hoarsely.  "Devon called earlier..."
 "Oh God," Yvonne said, sinking to the couch next to Chase.

"I can't believe he's gone," Chase started to say before getting too choked up.  He gazed at the painting of Ace on the wall. 
"I'm so sorry..." she said, reaching for his hand. "I'm going to miss him." 

9 comments:

  1. Damn... fantastic timing there Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she feels like a total tool, too!

      That day did not work out as I'd planned! I had intended to get Yvonne back in time for Chase to take her to a romantic dinner, but noooope, she got too busy at Felix's house... *clears throat*

      I got the pop-up that Ace had died when she was on her way home. I personally had begun to believe he was going to live forever! Little bittersweet because I was going to have Ace, Chase & Devon perform on stage soon. Dagnabbit! I missed my chance!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I wonder if Chase even heard what Yvonne said. That was totally unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I'm with Cece, great timing. My goodness, poor Chase!! He has been through too much with Yvonne and now this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's well-rid of her! In this case, two snobs did not make a Perfect Match! :)

      Delete
  4. Well, I can't say I'm sorry, at all. She really didn't try very hard in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surprise there! Yvonne completely checked out of the marriage & threw all her energy into the new romance.

      Delete
  5. Wow, all I can say is excellent writing! What Yvonne is doing is despicable, and it would have been so easy to just paint her as a heartless b*tch. But you're making us see her point of view as well, so really, props for that. Terrible timing though. Poor Chase!! He needs a lovely new lady to console him now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun giving just a little backstory on why she might be making her poor decisions. She & Chase were nowhere near perfect for each other since they never could seem to agree.

      I couldn't believe Ace died that night!

      I think Chase will swear women off for a LOOOONG time!

      Delete